vrijdag 26 april 2013

Travelling England (7)


Wednesday, July 12, 2010:
Eastbourne, Clairmont hotel, room 126.
The train left and arrived exactly on time. A taxi put me off at the Chatsworth hotel where we are supposed to register for the Annual Conference (of the International Dickens Fellowship) later this afternoon. I wasn't on the list of guests. After one or two telephone calls I was told I am staying at the Clairmont, just a few hundred yards further down the road. That's how it goes. I was one of the first to pay the complete fee thinking that would guarantee a room at the Chatsworth overlooking the sea. However, I am now at ten minutes walk away with a room at the back, overlooking an alleyway. It's a large room though, it's more quiet at the back and I will see enough of the sea anyway in the coming days. Besides it's on the ground floor and it has a very large bathroom, actually for the use of invalids. No idea how they got the idea I would be an invalid, but I hate being high up in hotels and I don't like small bathrooms, so I'm quite fine where I am. I'll be off for a pint before I go to register and get the definite programme of the conference.

I arrived in sunny weather, but when I left the hotel again the sky was grey and it rained heavily. After a few minutes I went back to the Clairmont for a Guinness on the porch. I smoked a cigar and had a friendly talk about nothing with an elderly gentleman sheltering from the rain. I was told Eastbourne is one large old people's home and looking at the people passing by I got the idea I am one of the youngest here, though every now and again small groups of children obviously on a school trip sauntered disappointed along the seafront, which by the way is beautifully decorated with blossoming flowers.

Thursday, July 13, 2010:
Eastbourne
Yesterday it rained for over three hours, but then the sun returned. After my Guinness and my chat I went to the Chatsworth, the seat of the conference, where I registered and got the programme. More and more Dickensians arrived from all over the world. Amongst them many Americans and Pieter de Groot, our secretary, with his Irish wife Ann. The three of us somewhat younger than most of the participants. Quite a number of retired officers who readily believed the story I told them of my military career as a young lieutenant with the Dutch forces in Surinam at the beginning of the 1970's. One sweet elderly lady, born in England but living in Australia, looked so strikingly like my aunt Ann from Newton-le-Willows that they easily could have been twin sisters. Dinner was surprisingly good and the atmosphere congenial, almost like we were old friends getting together after so many years, which actually will be the case for many people who regularly attend the Annual Conference. Afterwards the mayor of Eastbourne gave a reception which was the formal part of the evening. Unfortunately the president of the Fellowship is still on his way from Scotland, being delayed by the bad weather in the north. Walking back to the Clairmont I watched a brass band playing at the seafront after which there was a display of fireworks. I watched it for a little while but feeling tired I went to my room quite early for a good night's rest.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Opmerking: Alleen leden van deze blog kunnen een reactie posten.