donderdag 18 april 2013

Travelling England (5)


Monday, July 19, 2010:
Chester
Packed my suitcase and discovered I've forgotten my bow tie for the banquet at Eastbourne. I'll have to look for one in London. Cousin Debby will know where. I've skipped breakfast since I had a copious dinner at the hotel last night. A little too copious. I didn't write much in Chester, only one poem and the beginning of a travel story. It was good staying here, but it was also a bit of a disappointment. Probably because of the bad weather and the many rather uncouth people on the streets and in the pubs. I felt somewhat insecure on my own. Much more than on my recent visit to Lisbon. I'm glad therefore I'll be staying at Debby's for a day or two. A pity I didn't make it into Wales. I saw the Welsh mountains in the distance. They were calling me, but the rain made me decide not to listen.

Took another long walk yesterday until lunch, after which I wrote in my diary. I felt rather tired and took a nap, as I usually do when in Greece. Afterwards I enjoyed myself in the bar with a few pints. I prefer much stronger Belgian beers to the English these days, but they weren't available, so I drank Guinness. I asked for Theakston's Old Peculiar, but they didn't have that either. I'll be leaving at eleven to have coffee and a bun at the station. I mustn't forget to buy my ticket from London to Eastbourne in advance to save myself a couple of pounds.

Three weeks ago, translating one of her poems, I asked Joanne Limburg what 'PG Tips' meant. I'm drinking it right now. Of course I should have known it was a brand of tea, but I hadn't realized. She mailed me the answer right away. Yet when you translate from English, you ought to visit the country at times, even if it has to be on your own. From now on I'll have company. First cousin Debby and the children and at Eastbourne my fellow Dickensians. The weather seems to improve, though there are still some clouds in the sky.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Opmerking: Alleen leden van deze blog kunnen een reactie posten.