zondag 14 april 2013

Travelling England (3)

Spent £ 46,= on dinner. Not bad considering the kind of hotel, but tonight it will be an Indian restaurant. I just tried the trousers of my best suit. They fit again, so I could allow myself a full English breakfast. However, I prefer the French way: a strong coffee and a croissant. Slept very well after dinner. The food was average: cream of tomatoes, monkfish with 'real chips,' a spoonful of vegetables and a bottle of red Chilean wine. The fish was good, but the cook should make a trip to Flanders to learn what 'real chips' are. The cream could have done with a little more salt and taste. The girl serving me was sweet and rather good looking too. I shouldn't have ordered a whole bottle of wine though. If I order a bottle I drink it, but it was a little embarrassing for the waitress having to wake me up at closing time.

Received the map John H. drew me to find my way to the hospital, a very friendly gesture. I know where to go from Newton station, but Earlestown is closer. I think though I would have remembered enough of the place to make it on my own. Waking up I thought with pleasure of the girl I met in the street last night close to the hotel who gave me a very friendly smile. She was noticeably well dressed in a city where most women seem to be looking rather shabby.

Back from my visit to cousin Brian. I can't say he was too cheerful about the operation, but he didn't seem to be worrying too much either. We looked at the x-rays which show the fracture in his pelvis was not something overlooked by the surgeon, but developed after the operation because of a weakness of the bones. They'll be adjusting the construction in Birmingham. He's more concerned about the possibility of another infection than of the outcome of the operation. John H. wrote me the hospital was quarter of an hour walking from the station, but in fact it was only five minutes. I was half an hour early, but since it is a very small and quiet place, rather sleepy in fact, a nurse allowed me in and directed me straight away to Brian's room, where I stayed for more than half an hour after the official visiting time. Very considerate, I did after all travel all the way from Holland. It was good to see Brian again and to talk about the old days. I bought him Peter Mandelson's Memoirs and a copy of the Times Literary Supplement. From the train, somewhere in between Warrington and Earlestown I saw a weird character next to the track who had his face painted blue. I thought the ancient Celts used to do that before going to war, but he didn't look very much like a worrier to me.

Back at Earlestown station I had half an hour until the next train. I thought of having a drink in a nearby pub but it didn't look very welcoming so I sat down on the platform to read. A girl asked me if she was on the right platform for the train to Llandidno. I said she was after which she excused herself for moving into the sun which just appeared in between some clouds. Once on the train, which was crowded, a sweet young lady offered me her seat but I refused. It was just a short ride and I'm not a grumpy grandpa yet.

Phoned John H. back at the hotel to thank him and to tell him about my visit. It's almost six o' clock. Time for a pint after which I'll go and look for an Indian. I noticed an Italian restaurant yesterday but no Greek or Cypriot.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Opmerking: Alleen leden van deze blog kunnen een reactie posten.