woensdag 8 mei 2013

Travelling England (end)


Monday, July 26, 2010:
Eastbourne
Stella's birthday. A day of farewells. Just said goodbye to the other participants at the conference. I wonder whom I will see back one day and whom never. I'm glad I went this year, as I met so many different but interesting people. The programme was good, I learned quite a bit and enjoyed the outings as they took place in a part of England I very seldom visit. I didn't write about the trip to Brighton where I was impressed by the Royal Pavilion and the scarcely dressed female students pattering around it. It was exceptionally sunny that afternoon and it had an atmosphere of eastern frivolity, though we knew better. The experience needs to sink in a bit, but at least I already wrote a poem on my visit to Chester. Glad too to have seen cousin Brian and to have had a taste of England again after such a long time. Last night a man from Manchester who migrated to Canada said: 'You're from Liverpool I guess.' I remember Wendy enjoying me talking Liverpudlian and playing angry when I spoke the English we learned at school in Holland.

Harwich:
Despite staying in London for most of the day I'm almost two hours early. They won't let us embark before the official time which is half past eight. From Eastbourne to London Victoria I travelled together with the lady from California who treated me to some of the stories she told us once or twice before. I didn't mind as it killed time and I do tend to repeat my own stories myself once in a while. Annoyingly when that happens one of my friends who does the same but doesn't realize it, is in the habit waving two or three fingers in front of my face, thinking he's awfully funny. For old time's sake I usually ignore him and never raise any of my fingers when he repeats his stories, though some of the other friends present, usually at Visser's in Dordrecht, give me a knowing smile. I kept my fingers down while the old lady chattered on.

At Victoria's we took leave after which I went to Liverpool Street station by taxi to drop off my luggage. I had a drink at the station and then set off for Tower Hill. It was too busy at the Tower to enter, so I just walked around for a while and took photographs. I sat down at Liberty Bounds on Trinity Square for a cheese bun and a few pints of Guinness, after which it was already half past three. I took the quarter to four train to Harwich, thinking I could have a drink at the port if they wouldn't let us embark straight away, but the Stena-line cafeteria is locked and I am too lazy and a little too tired to go into the town. Close by a Dutchman in shorts is continually grinning at the screen of his laptop which makes the poor man decidedly look like an imbecile. The television is on: in South London two teenagers beat a granddad to death. Just for the fun of it they told the police. There's also a family tragedy in Hampshire, where a supposedly quiet and friendly family man killed his wife and two daughters with a knife after which he hanged himself. It will be cloudy and rain is expected overnight. I want to get on that ship, have a shower and then go for a few glasses of red wine.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010:
Stena Hollandica
I've got a very luxurious cabin again, right under the bridge, looking forward to the bow of the ship. We're drawing close to Hoek van Holland. On starboard the first signs of the Maasvlakte: wisps of smoke and a long row of tiny looking windmills that spoil the view. The nice cabin and the friendly staff at dinner make up for the delay of half an hour when embarking. I therefore had a late dinner, around eleven, but plentiful and sprinkled with good wine. No need for breakfast. The crossing was very calm, water like oil as the Greeks say. The weather looks fine, at least it's dry. Now I only have to brave the Dutch railways to get home by ten this morning.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Opmerking: Alleen leden van deze blog kunnen een reactie posten.